I love the quiet of the night, that magical time where all sorts of thoughts and ideas appear, and my pen and I happily transcribe to my trusty legal pad. Yes, I’m old school I love a pen in hand and seeing words on paper, it’s sort of like an electronic reader vs book, I have both but there are times when I want to curl up with a book instead of an electronic device. My husband on the other hand can barely stay up and watch the news, but 4AM he is up and running a 10 miler, or at the gym, or working out with his trainer and I on the other hand am just turning in at 3AM. Considering I don’t have a”place” to be in the morning since I work at home, I catch up sleeping in a bit, but of course the phone starts ringing around 8 and I am the master of answering as though I was wide awake and then quietly falling back into a deep sleep sometimes not remembering who I spoke to.
So the other day i read a piece on the Habits of Supremely Happy People, on the huffington Post and one of the habits was getting plenty of sleep, so I decided I’m going to rewire my brain, and go to bed early and wake up at dawn and start my day, and still have that quiet time that I love. The following are the other items that “contribute” to “supreme” happiness-this list is dead on…
1. Surround themselves with happy people–check. Nothing will take you down quicker than others who are negative, I find that my nature is to “fix” people, but sometimes you have to pull away.
2. Smile when they mean it–check. A smile is a cure all.
3.Cultivate resilience–check. Keep trying, keep doing, never give up on your dreams.
4. Try to be happy–check. There are some people you purpose to be mad, I don’t get it.
5. Appreciate simple pleasures–check. Smelling a rose as I leave my house can make my day.
6. Devote time to giving–check. Always giving something to someone, trying to make a difference.
7. Lose track of time–check. I’m an expert at this one.
8. Nix the small talk for deeper conversation–check. You have to go there, dig deeper.
9. Spend money on other people–check. Yept.
10. Make a point to listen–check. It is amazing how many people don’t do this one.
11. Look on the bright side–check. Yes, there always is a bright side to everything no matter how bad it seems.
12. Value a good mixtape–check. I LOVE MAKING MIXED CD’S- another part of my sleep problem. Music is so important to me…
13. UNPLUG–Gotta work on this one ie. leave the phone at home sometimes, have rules.
14. Get Spiritual–check
15. Exercise–check. no brainer
16. Sleep– Working on this one
17. Laugh–check. I always find the humor in everything…
18.Walk the Walk–check. The old “pep in your step” is true…
So my friends what are your thoughts? Anything missing? Anything to add? Spread some happiness as you go about your day today.