I’m not sure when this problem started, but I have accumulated a lot of “stuff” over the years. With a daughter living in New York City, I was pinned to the news keeping up with “Sandy”. I couldn’t help thinking about the what if we were hit with a catastrophic event what would I do? What is really important? I have so much clutter it would really be hard for me to find the items that I would even want. That’s a problem. So I decided I would confront this situation.
This is the outside of my house. You will be surprised at what lurks inside of the garage. I am ashamed to share with you that I cannot park one car inside because of stuff.
See? Bikes, boxes, furniture projects–never wanting to get ready a chair because I’m going to recover it…
There are so many boxes from when remodeled the kitchen I have no clue what is even in them.
The rafters is full of stuff too, more boxes and holiday decorations.
I did take one car stall and make a gym, and that area stays free of clutter.
So, little by little I am going to clean my garage so I can park a car inside. I also made a list of what would I grab if I had to leave my home quickly:
Not in any particular order:
1. My 3 external hard drives
2. Mac Book Pro
4. Cameras which stay packed in a backpack
5. Medications (my husband takes some life saving meds that he can’t go without…)
7. My 2 Cats
8.Flashlight if I could find one
10. My jewelry–I love my baubles
Ten things that I would hate to leave
1. Boxes of pictures (let’s just say an entire closet full of pictures)
2. My shoes–no need to explain you know I loooove my shoes
3. My wardrobe
5. Odd things I have brought back from trips
6. My Hastens Bed
7. My books-I have many-even though I have a kindle I will always love books especially Art books
8. Trinkets from my children ie. preschool drawings etc. I have all that stuff too
9. My dishes I used to have a china problem
10. The few antiques that I have collected
What would you grab if you only had a few minutes? What would you miss?
I will be posting my progress on Operation Garage in the coming weeks.