A while back I made a 50 ways to age graceful list, but so many of my friends joining the 50 plus ranks, I wanted to do a revised list, now that I have 5 years post under my belt .Yes, 50 is certainly a milestone birthday, especially for women. Aging is not always embraced, but I can certainly tell you the alternative is not good, so no matter where you are in your life journey- celebrate your admission to this elite “golden” club.
So here is my new list:
1. At “50” things that you thought were important are not- let it go.
2. Keep up your appearance, this is not the time to stop your grooming.
3. Embrace your age- no one is going to believe you are still in your 20’s anyway.
4. Address your personal shit and handle it…
5. Forget about what is age appropriate and do what feels right.
6. Practice yoga, pilates, etc. you don’t want to get stiff- stay flexible and if you have not been practicing it is never to late to start.
6A. Mediate- just started this and let me tell you it is a game changer…
7. Appreciate the first 50 years and know that those 50 years made you the person you are today.
8. Wear makeup, especially concealer and remember less is more.
9. Walk daily- park far away, whenever you can etc. just get it in…wear one of those tracking devices if you need accountability – I love fitbit.
10. Celebrate every birthday with friends and family and do something special and of course drink champagne-the good stuff.
11. Take a class in something, keep your brain active.
12. Remember “sitting” is the new “smoking” get up and move.
13. Take responsibility for “you”.
14. Learn a new language.
15. Do something different with your hair color, try a new style especially if you have been rocking the same “do” for the past 20 years.
16. Be modest with your face if you decide to go the botox/filler route, you don’t want to start looking odd.
17. Smile more…
18. Travel, even if you have to go solo.
19. Get your sleep- at least 8 hours.
20. Have a few younger friends – you can teach each other a few things.
21. Be charming and gracious.
22. Work at being your best weight.
23. Take care of your skin and continue to wear sunscreen.
24. Start a journal- or perhaps write a memoir.
25. hydrate- Drink a lot of water daily.
26. Wear good lingerie.
27. Get dressed up just because.
28. Set goals for your 50’s and 60’s.
30. Be want you want to be, regardless of what others may think…
30A. See whoever you want to see regardless of what others think.
31. Accept the “you” of today, don’t wish for the 20 or 30 year old you- just concentrate on being the best “you” right now.
32. Laugh and find humor in everyday life.
33. Forgive yourself for the past.
34. Volunteer for something you are passionate about.
35. If you are a mother or a grandmother, don’t let that define you.
36. Take more baths.
37. Don’t focus on menopause.
38. Have a love affair with your partner-
39. Arrange flowers.
39A. Listen to music.
40. Use and wear the “good” stuff…nice jewelry , china etc..
41. Strength train.
42. Have good posture.
43. Believe that dreams can still come true.
44. Wear sexy pretty shoes, even if they are flat- Don’t give in to sensible shoes…
45. Flaunt your assets. If you have nice legs wear something short.
46. Get out of your comfort zone and do something different.
47. Make your surroundings beautiful.
48. Don’t drink to excess.
49. Get more massages.
50. Explore eastern medicine.
51. Prepare meals with all your heart and soul.
52. Have a spiritual base.
53. Be open to receive love.
54. Respect and spend time with your sister-friends.
55. Live each day to the fullest and don’t take life for granted.
55A. Stay interesting…read. Know what is going on in the world.
Did I miss anything? Let me know any that you have on your list.